BY-LAWS OF THE MONTANA GREEN PARTY AS AMENDED IN 2006
ARTICLE I PURPOSE
Our purpose is to establish the Green Party and its values in Montana as a viable alternative to corporate controlled politics.
ARTICLE II MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the Montana Green Party shall be open to any interested individuals. Members shall support the By-laws of the Montana Green Party and the 10 Key Values of the Green Party of the United States.
ARTICLE III GENERAL MEETING OF MEMBERS
The Montana Green Party shall meet at least once annually. Efforts shall be made to inform all members of the meeting and proposed agenda at least 14 days in advance. The membership shall be the body responsible for decision-making on statewide issues, and endorsement of statewide candidates. It shall elect from its attendees the following officers: Secretary, Treasurer and Coordinator, who will conduct the meeting. Each officer will be elected for a one year term.
ARTICLE IV DUTIES OF OFFICERS
CO-ORDINATOR The Co-ordinator will:
1. Be the contact person with the Green Party of the United States.
2 Be the contact person for statewide issues and projects.
TREASURER The Treasurer will:
1. Maintain the checking account.
2. Prepare quarterly reports required by the Commissioner of Political Practices.
SECRETARY The Secretary will:
1. Keep minutes of meetings.
2. Keep records of the Montana Green Party.
ARTICLE V VOTING RULES
All individual members in attendance at general meetings of the Montana Green Party may vote. Members shall strive for consensus in decision making. If consensus is not possible, general decisions and candidate endorsements shall be passed by simple majority. Rules, by-laws, platform issues, and removal of officers must pass by a two-thirds majority. Election of officers shall use instant runoff voting.
Members in the minority on a decision may publicly dissent from that decision and organize caucuses to promote their views, provided they clearly distinguish their position from that of the majority. All minority positions of members are to be noted in meeting minutes.
ARTICLE VI COMMITTEES
The Montana Green Party may form committees to further its work.
ARTICLE VII RECALL OF OFFICERS
The general membership, by majority vote, may decide to remove an officer for cause, including, but not limited, to:
1. Committing the Montana Green Party to actions, endorsements, and other policy positions outside the decision making process.
2. Misappropriation, embezzlement, or unauthorized disbursement of Montana Green Party funds.
ARTICLE VIII AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
Amendments to these By-laws may be proposed and voted on at Montana Green Party general meetings. They shall be adopted by a two-thirds vote.
ARTICLE IX ENDORSEMENT OF GREEN PARTY CANDIDATES FOR OFFICE
1. All Green Party candidates may seek endorsement from the local Green Parties and the Montana Green Party. All candidates should be in agreement with the Green Party 10 Key Values (see attachment).
2. All candidates must meet requirements for the office as specified in the Montana State Election Laws.
ARTICLE X REPRESENTATIVES TO THE GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
The MGP membership, by a majority vote, will choose representatives to the Green Party of the United States for a two year term.